Free Consultation


2828 University Ave. SE, Suite 202, Minneapolis, MN 55414

Child Protection

Child Protective Services Lawyers in Minnesota

The Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) takes every allegation of child abuse or child endangerment seriously.  A child protection case usually opens with an investigation in the field.  Sometimes cases are closed immediately, other times a child can actually be removed from the care of his, or her, parents. If you have been accused of the mistreatment of your child, please call us now, we can help.

Understanding a CHIPS case

A child in need of protective services (CHIPS) case occurs whenever there is suspicion of abuse, or maltreatment. This can include:

  • Physical abuse;
  • Sexual abuse of any kind;
  • Domestic violence in the home and in the presence of children;
  • Emotional abuse;
  • Neglect or lack of supervision, especially in regards to food, clothing, shelter, or medical care;
  • Failure to protect a child from harm; or
  • Use of alcohol or drugs by a parent in a way that negatively affects the needs of a child
  • Juvenile delinquency
  • Truancy

If any of the above are present or even suspected, a child protection investigation will open. The consequences of this investigation can have a long-lasting impact on both the parents, and the children.  Most child protection matters are very unique and often the parents are viewed as “guilty” right from the start.  One of the most important things you can do during a child protection investigation is to cooperate with the Department of Human Services (DHS). It is important to contact a Child Protection Attorney right away because there are statutory guidelines regarding out of home placement of a child.

With an experienced CHIPS lawyer on your side, you can be better prepared for the process, have all your questions answered, and feel assured you are being taken care of.

Please Contact the Buettner Law Group, LLC if you are being investigated by the Department of Human Services for accusations of child abuse, neglect, or if your child has been removed from your home.